Founded in 1910, the Institut français du Royaume-Uni comprises of a multi-media library, the Ciné lumière, a language center and the French bistro, welcoming 200,000 people each year. The Institut Français du Royaume-Uni are part of the Institut Français worldwide network promoting French language and culture and encouraging cross-cultural exchange and cultural diversity.
Cosmur Construction (London) Ltd were appointed as Principal Contractors to undertake the design development and construction delivery of the refurbishment of the Institut Francais Library and respective offices in South Kensington, London.
The project included a replacement lift to access all floors of the library, which in turn required extensive structural work to the existing building. As the existing footprint of the building could not be expanded, innovative design solutions were required to create additional space for the library’s extensive collection.
Scope of works:
- Strip-out and removal of all the existing furniture and partitions.
- New partitioning.
- Remodelling and refurbishment of the basement
- Refurbishment and reconfiguration of the existing ground floor.
- Replacement of the existing disabled platform lifts with a new compact DDA compliant passenger lift.
- Installation of new fixtures and fittings, including library furniture, kitchenette, drinking fountains, blinds skirting and sundry joinery.
- Installation of new electronic library security system, passive ICT – CAT 6 wiring; cabinets/racks; and wireless network.
- New mechanical and engineering services throughout the refurbishment.
- Alterations to the heating system, replacement of all the radiators.
- Installation of new ICT network and cable infrastructure.
- Vinyl to all floors and stair case.
- New insulation and roof coverings, including promenade tiles, hand rail and repairs to roof hatch.
Client: The Institut français du Royaume-Uni
Consultant: AMR Consultants
Categorised in: News
This post was written by Cosmur