Market Road Pavilion is located adjacent to the Islington Tennis Centre in Market Road, Islington, N7 9PL. The facility was the site of the first artificial grass surface to be installed in England in the early 1970’s.
Islington Council secured a grant from the Football Foundation towards their redevelopment of the pitches and changing room facilities and selected Cosmur to create a new vibrant and modern pavilion building as a hub for all activities on the sports ground.
The project involved the construction of a brand new changing block and the subsequent demolition of the existing changing rooms followed by the refurbishment of the existing pitches, and the construction of 3 new five a side pitches. Works had to be carefully managed and phased to ensure the existing pitches remained safe and the Centre remained in use by carrying out much of the disruptive works during the off season period.
Scope of works:
• Demolition of the existing changing facilities.
• New single storey metal clad building comprising of:
– Load-bearing masonry structure with trussed rafter roof structure.
– Concrete strip foundations with beam and block floor.
– Applied external cladding.
– Colour-coated aluminium windows and doors.
• Replacement garaging for pitch maintenance machinery.
• Reconfiguration and relocation of associated services (water, gas,
• External landscape works (paving, retaining wall, benches.)
Value: £1.2 m
Client: LB of Islington
Consultant: LK2 Consultants
Press Release Articles:
Categorised in: News
This post was written by Victoria Hayward