The Sobell Centre is a landmark facility, and a key provider of sports and fitness for Islington residents. The improvements to the centre entailed the modernisation of the facility, giving it a clean and contemporary feel. Being appointed as a design and build contractor we introduced innovative design throughout the project, whilst providing practical, robust solutions to achieve an improved internal layout.
Works were undertaken with the centre remaining in use and required careful phasing to ensure that areas adjacent to the working areas remained safe, in use and continued to be in service.
Scope of works:
- The enlargement of the existing ground floor gymnasium in order to provide an increase in facilities in response to the demand of users.
- The alterations to the ground floor male, female and disabled use changing room areas and showers, including use of existing plant space and creation of external access.
- Refurbishment of first floor Junior Gymnasium
- Conversion of existing bar area into Boxing gymnasium
- Refurbishment of first floor changing rooms to facilitate temporary facilities during the works
- The installation of floor sockets to the main hall
- Installation of fixed gymnasium equipment.
Value: £ 1.3m
Client: Islington Council
Consultants: Pellings LLP
Categorised in: News
This post was written by Victoria Hayward