An opportunity had arisen for Cosmur to undertake a residential development to provide affordable housing combining a mixture of houses and flats on a disused industrial land known as Farm Road in Whitton, Middlesex for Richmond Housing Partnership a registered social landlord.
Cosmur were appointed as Principal Contractors to undertake the design and construction two, three and four storey building for residential use comprising 1No. 2-bed house, 4No. 3-bed houses, 3No. one bedroom flats and 16No. two bedroom flats, together with communal amenity space and car parking.
Scope of Works :
- Removal of contamination soil
- New piled foundations
- Erection of timber from construction
- Brick work and render cladding
- New slated and zinc roof
- Installation of UPVC windows
- Installation of composite doors
- New floor finishes
- New kitchens
- Lift to block A
- New mechanical and electrical insulations
- Curtain walling to Block A and B
- New incoming services
- Soft landscaping
- Hard landscaping
- Design and build contract with a number of planning conditions and requirements such as achieving Level 4 of the Code for Sustainable Homes.
- Remediation work which included the removal of a hotspot of radioactive contamination to the central northern half of the site.
- Proximity of neighbouring residential properties.
- Restricted access for deliveries.
- We appointed a Design Team that had successfully worked collaboratively with us on similar projects for other Registered Social Landlords.
- Used our in-house Design Co-ordinator for good admin processes and continuity through-out the project.
- An environmental consultant was employed to work alongside our design team to ensure Code 4 Sustainable Homes was being met through the design development stages.
- We clearly understood RHPs (Richmond Housing Partnership) drivers and ensured our design incorporated them, we held regular review meetings throughout the pre-construction phase.
- The design was developed with the assistance of our supply chain who were able to provide accurate costings to ensure the best value solution for each component.
- We produced a Project Risk Register to identify any matters that could have had an impact on cost or time implication for the project and eliminated these risks as the design develops.
- We will produce robust Project Design and Construction Programmes to ensure that the process is managed as the project timetable and to provide accurate Preliminary Costs
- Extensive ground condition surveys were carried out to ascertain the level of Once established specialist sub-contractors were used to safely remove and discard the contaminated soil.
- Deliveries were planned through a detailed Traffic Management Plan, we also adopted just in time strategy for the delivery of materials to minimise disruption to the surrounding community.
- The site was registered under the Considerate Constructors Scheme. Cosmur is an Associate Member of the Considerate Constructor Scheme, which focuses heavily on quality and environmental performance, and we are one of very few SME businesses that have achieved this standard.