Cosmur designed and constructed a three-storey block of flats in Cave Road, Ham, a stone’s throw from the River Thames in one of the most attractive areas of south-west London.
The project involved creating six affordable homes in what had been an underused garaging space. It was part of a bigger project for the Richmond Housing Partnership for the design and construction of 13 properties including houses, bungalows and flats on five sites in the Twickenham area.
Scope of works:
- Asbestos removal
- Garage demolitions including general site clearance, rubbish removal,grubbing out concrete slabs and existing foundations
- New piled foundations
- Erection of timber frame
- Brick and block work
- New roof covering, fascias, barrage boar and drainage
- Installation of new UPVC Windows
- New floor finishes
- Internal decorations
- New mechanical and electrical Installations
- New incoming services
- External works including landscaping, new paving and installation of fencing and gates
- Design and build contract with a number of planning conditions and requirements such as achieving Level 4 of the Code for Sustainable Homes.
- Remediation work which included the removal of a hotspot of radioactive contamination to the central northern half of the site arising from previous use of the site for the manufacturing of radar parts in the Second World War.
- Proximity of neighbouring residential properties.
- Restricted access for deliveries.
- We appointed a Design Team that had successfully worked collaboratively with us on similar projects for other Registered Social Landlords.
- Our in-house Design Co-ordinator ensured seamless design and construction processes and continuity through-out the project.
- An environmental consultant was employed to work alongside our design team to ensure the sustainability targets for the project were met throughout design and construction.
- We clearly understood RHP’s (Richmond Housing Partnership) drivers and ensured our design incorporated them, we held regular review meetings throughout the pre-construction phase.
- The design was developed with the assistance of our supply chain who were able to provide accurate costings to ensure the best value solution for each component.
- We produced a Project Risk Register to identify any matters that could have had an impact on cost or time implication for the project and eliminated these risks as the design develops.
- We will produce robust Project Design and Construction Programmes to ensure that the process is managed as the project timetable and to provide accurate Preliminary Costs
- Extensive ground condition surveys were carried out to ascertain the level of contamination. Once established, specialist sub-contractors were used to safely remove and discard the contaminated soil.
- Deliveries were planned through a detailed Traffic Management Plan; we also adopted just in time strategy for the delivery of materials to minimise disruption to the surrounding community.
- The site was registered under the Considerate Constructors Scheme. Cosmur is an Associate Member of the Considerate Constructor Scheme, which focuses heavily on quality and environmental performance, and we are one of very few SME businesses that have achieved this standard.