Cosmur were commissioned to restore four apartments in a double-fronted Victorian building and construct five townhouses on the site of a former police station and yard in the Upland Road, one of East Dulwich’s most desirable residential streets.
Scope of works:
- Four apartments created within the former police building
- Deep excavations were required to form basement bedrooms and luxury bathrooms
- Light wells were formed front and back to maximise light into the basement areas
- Loft areas of the former building were utilised to gain maximum space
- Use of Cedarwood in the gardens and thoughtful planting
- Five ultra-modern houses were built on the former police station yard
- Excavations to a depth of 3.5m over the footprint were required to form the basements
- Around 300 lorry loads of earth removed
- The build commenced with RC frame and waterproof concrete in the ground and a further three floors in traditional brick and block
- Internal drainage added to the elegant look
- Environmental features included state-of-the-art air source heat pump with solar panels hidden from view on the roof and energy efficient Velfac windows
- Basements extend to the gardens with walk-on glass to maximise light
- Working within a conservation area.
- Extensive CDP items (Contractors Design Portion) such as the Mechanical & Electrical Services and tanking for basements.
- Retaining the existing façade of the former police station.
- Confined urban site with limited access for site compound and deliveries
- Proximity of residential properties.
- Sectional completion
- Client fit out of show flats and homes
- Our in-house Design Co-ordinator was instrumental in developing the temporary works design with the structural engineer and our preferred scaffolding contractor.
- Maintained transparent and frequent communication with local Planning and Conservation Officers throughout the duration of the works.
- The CDP design was developed with the assistance of our supply chain who were able to provide accurate costings to ensure the best value solution for each component.
- We produced a Project Risk Register to identify any matters that could have had an impact on cost or time implication for the project and eliminated these risks as the design develops.
- Deliveries were planned through a detailed Traffic Management Plan; we also adopted just in time strategy for the delivery of materials to minimise disruption to the surrounding community.
- The site was registered under the Considerate Constructors Scheme. Cosmur is an Associate Member of the Considerate Constructor Scheme, which focuses heavily on quality and environmental performance, and we are one of very few SME businesses that have achieved this standard.
- We were able to work with our Client to ensure their obligations to market and sell the properties were met. Including liaison with third parties and facilitating completion in line with viewings and mortgage finalisation for the individual purchasers.
- Whilst not initially part of our works Cosmur embraced the request to bring forward certain properties for completion to enable marketing.