Cosmur were awarded the fast track office fit out to provide Goldsmiths University with 4 floors of open plan office space, along with meeting and wash room facilities.
Scope of works:
- The creation of open plan offices with glazed partitions to meeting rooms
- An industrial look was created by exposing concrete soffits, heating plant fixed to the ceilings and pipework masked with cable tray
- Plasterboard cladding to the external walls
- Internal installation of plasterboard partitions
- Acoustic panelling fixed to the walls and ceilings
- All ventilation and heating plant was mounted on the roof
- All furniture is colour coded to each floor
- Cardboard tubed partitions to separate spaces
- High quality doors and ironmongery
- Fast track 16-week programme
- Two-week mobilisation period
- Restricted access, narrow roads and one-way system
- Usage of a crane to lift plant and material on the roof
- The building was situated near a housing estate and student accommodation
- The site abutted active pavements and roadways
- Working within the public realm as part of the external works
- We appointed a team who were experienced in working on CAT B office fit out projects.
- We developed the programme with input from our Specialist sub-contractors such Triple S Lift Services Ltd to ensure that all matters are taken into account.
- Long lead in items was identified through a Procurement Programme.
- An internal target programme was produced, which was over a reduced timescale and allowed a buffer for any issues and over runs.
- We appointed our own in house Design Co-ordinator to ensure we meet specification and achieve programme milestones.
- To avoid unforeseen matters when we start work, we carried out investigation works to ensure we understand the existing structure and services.
- Sub contractor resources were supplemented through our directly employed tradesman.
- Site access and compound arrangements was designed to cause minimum disruption. That allowed safe and unencumbered access to the operatives and client team.
- We ensured our proposals were compatible with Block D’s fire safety plan and fire escape routes were not compromised.
- Our site set up was within Block D on the ground floor and comprised of canteen, offices, WC facilities and storage area.
- We suspended two bays outside the building and was designated for storing materials before they were hand balled inside and also provide an area to locate our skips towards the end of the project.
- All routes and access arrangements were clearly signposted.
- Traffic management plan was produced to manage and coordinate deliveries.
- Just in time deliveries were implemented to reduce the presence of materials on site and prevented theft and vandalism.
- Lifting plan was produced and agreed with the University detailing all lifting activities.
We registered the site under the Considerate Constructors Scheme to minimise disruption to the local community. Cosmur is recognised as Partner of the Scheme, which focuses heavily on quality and environmental performance.