This is the first of 5 contracts for the University of Westminster.
The location of the building in a very busy shopping area in Central London posed a number of challenges. The erection of scaffolding and the installation of large windows was especially complex and entailed the strictest observance of Health & Safety procedures so that the public were able to pass freely beneath the work area.
As the building remained in full use and occupation throughout the works, including during exam periods, precise and phased programming was necessary to allow decanting of rooms one at a time.
Scope of works:
- Extensive interior refurbishment and redecorations to all 8 floors.
- Upgrading and installing the fire alarm and electronic security system, and associated re-wiring and electrical works.
- Installation and works to intumescent ceilings.
- Installation of new fireproofed doors.
- Refurbishment and fireproofing works to listed doors.
- Interior wall repairs and decorations in rooms and corridors.
- Renewal of flooring in some of the rooms.
- Exterior repairs and renewals.
- Repairs to the wrought-iron exterior staircase.
- Specialist masonry repairs and decorations.
- Installation of both new and refurbished listed windows.